Hey there fellow pasta lover! This was as a result of a whole week of craving some Italian cuisine. I initially had wanted to make some sausage lasagna, but we both know that cheese is like the main actor in the lasagna movie lol. I did not have any cheese in the house, and so the next best thing was sausage Pasta! I made this using spices and ingredients that are inherent to the Kenyan cuisine like; farmer’s choice beef sausages, royco, the Santa Maria spaghetti brand etc. Even without the cheese, I promise you that this was delicious, and very simple to make.
- Frozen vegetables (1 cup)
- Spaghetti, or any pasta of your choice ( 5 servings / 500 grams)
- 4 beef sausages (cut into bite size pieces)
- Chopped onions (1 handful)
- 2 large tomatoes
- Chili paste (1 tablespoon)
- Tomato paste / sauce (3 tablespoons)
- Ketchup (2 tablespoons)
- Chopped cilantro stems and leaves (1 handful)
- 3 cloves of garlic
- 1/4 a cup of olive oil
- Soy sauce (2 tablespoons)
- Salt to taste
- 1 chopped capsicum (optional)
- Spices (1 teaspoon each): black pepper, coriander powder, cumin powder, beef cube/ royco and oregano powder.
- In a food processor, add in the tomatoes, capsicum, garlic, ketchup, chili paste, tomato sauce and half of the cilantro.
- Blend until you achieve smooth pasta sauce and set aside.
x x x
- Bring the pasta to a boil on high heat and remove and strain once soft.
- In another pan, fry the onions and cilantro stems until soft then add the vegetables. Keep cooking until the French beans are well cooked. (Feel free to use vegetables of your choice).
- At this point, add the spices, salt and soy sauce, cover for 2 minutes then add the sausages.
- Cook until the sausages are well coated and cooked on the inside. (This should take a few minutes)
- Once all of that is done and everything is cooked, add the sauce, mix it in, cover the pan and let it simmer for about 10 minutes.
- Add the pasta and mix everything in evenly.
- Garnish with the remaining cilantro leaves and serve while still hot.