Hey, so this recipe was as a result of not having bananas at home. As you may have guessed by going through my recipes, I love bananas with my baked goods. Something about the flavor that is just so yummy and rich. Long story short, I went with this upside down apple cake recipe instead and I couldn’t be happier! (when life gives you apples…) I decided to blend the apples with the milk too, just for it to pass as an actual apple cake. Try it and thank me later folks!
- All purpose flour (3 cups)
- Sugar (1 cup)
- Coconut oil or regular vegetable oil (1/2 cup)
- Almond milk or regular milk (1 cup)
- Sliced apples (2 cups)
- Baking powder (1 tbsp)
- Eggs (3 large)
- Vanilla essence (1 tsp)
- Brown sugar (1 spoon)
- Butter (3 tbsp)
APPLE CAKE BATTER:
- Pre-heat your oven to 325 degF.
- Blend a cup of apples with a cup of milk until you get a thick consistency.
- Combine your dry ingredients in a bowl ( flour and baking powder), and your wet (sugar, apple milk shake, eggs and oil) in another. Use a whisk or a mixer to mix your wet ingredients until smooth.
- Combine your wet and dry ingredients folding it in gently until you achieve a thick batter. Set aside.
- Prepare your baking pan by oiling it with some butter and dusting with some left over flour until well coated.
- Melt some butter on a pan and add your spoons of brown sugar. Reduce the heat and keep stirring until you achieve the perfect caramel sauce.
- Add in the other cup of sliced apples as you ensure that both sides are well coated.
- Remove them from the fire once they are golden brown, and coat your prepared baking pun with them.
- Pour your batter over the caramelized apples, and bake for 35-50 minutes or until it passes the toothpick test.
- Once the cake has cooled down, turn it upside down and enjoy the glory that is before you.
- Serve with some extra caramel or vanilla ice cream and enjoy!